Sunday, January 3, 2010

Busy Busy Busy

This always happens when I have a few days off work and don't go out of town.  I get into some BHP, also known as Big Hairy Project, around the house that takes over my life for months!  I've already mentioned that before the New Year I decided to redecorate a guest bedroom.  It is coming along nicely but I still have a long way to go.  Here's a sneak peak:




The only problem with decorating with black and white is apparently knowing when to stop.  You'll think I've gone mad when I show you the whole deal, Lucille.  Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I was browsing in a local furniture store to see if any new bedroom suites struck my fancy when I stumbled upon a fantabulous bookcase/hutch at an unbelieveable price. 




It is exactly what I've been wanting for my breakfast nook for like centuries!  Hubby has his rolltop desk in the nook now, but it will have to find a new home in the basement soon because after the salesman knocked $100 off the already unbelieveably low price (thanks to hubby), I couldn't say no.  Made by Pennsylvania House - solid cherry.  I can't wait to get it home and all set up!


Next - My dad is celebrating his 59th b/d on Tuesday.  He's a big Pittsburgh Steelers fan and due to some health issues, always has cold hands.  So, for his birthday, I got the BHI that he needed a Steelers hand muffler, just like the old fashioned ones.  After much fussing and fritzing which involved the electrified sewing machine (and lots of prayer), VOI LA:



It's 8 fleecy fuzzy fluffy layers thick and feels like heaven on the inside.  I know he'll love it!

Lastly, there are about 4 stitchy things I want to do for the new B&W bedroom.  I'm using a Capri blue as the accent color and frankly, I am so in love with how it's turning out that I think I'm going to ask it to marry me when I get it all together.  Normally, I would automatically add red accents to any black and white decor, but because this is a bedroom, I thought red might be too much.  So, Capri blue won.  I've been hanging on to this peacock pattern for about 100 years because I simply could not decide what color to do the Assisi work in.  Again, red is my default function, but somehow I just could not reconcile stitching a peacock in red.  However, since I need Capri blue accents in the new bedroom:



I'm thinking it might be a great pillar candle wrapper....what do you think?

Well, my stomach virus is rearing it's ugly head, so I must run (no pun intended)

Toodles!

5 comments:

  1. Love the bedroom and the cabinet! What a great find...the tiered shelves are really neat.

    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cabinet is great as is the bedroom makeover. Love the blue you are working with. I love patterns with one color. I never did get around to a full clean out of the fridge. Oh well! Tomorrow is another day. Have a good one. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Marnie! I enjoyed getting caught up on all of your posts...your thoughts and your resolution for the New year! I need to have the same list as you -- somehow the refrigerator is perpetually neglected...love your new bedroom and the idea of capri blue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your compliment on my blog! Holly and Berries was a really fun finish and the box ornament was a class I took last October. I really, really like what you're doing to your guest bedroom - lucky guests! Also, where is that peacock pattern from? - it is gorgeous and that colour is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the room and the hutch!! Fabulous!! I bet your dad will really like his steelers hand warmer. :) I like the blue accents. Like you, I would normally lean toward red, but I think the blue is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete