Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Bored with Bordeaux?

Even though yesterday was Groundhog day (stupid groundhog), today is looking a lot like "Groundhog Day", with a new batch of bad weather on the way. This trend is really on my last nerve. As a matter of fact, I think it's driving me to drink!

Allow me to introduce a friend of mine. Meet Valpolicella:




Never heard of it? I hadn't either but my BWAFF* told me there was a very good reason most Americans have never heard of it, it's harder to pronounce than Chianti. I can understand that. I'm still working on stringing three Italian syllables together, let alone 5. I digress. If you enjoy a nice middle of the road red, not too dry, not too fruity, but interesting enough to talk about, look for it on a Kroger shelf near you! If you are lucky enough to have access to a really good wine shop, it is usually found with the Tuscans although it's from Veneto.

But before you make the mistake of thinking I know what I'm talking about, let me be very clear, I'm no wine snob, but I do enjoy trying different things and learning about it. I couldn't tell ya earthy from tobaccoy, but I know what I like when I taste it.


The Fine Print: the good stuff is not a "bargain". While I've seen price points range from $11 up, if you choose to give this grape a go, in order to ensure you have a good experience, I would start with the bottles that are aged at least a year or "Classico" (around $20). I'm making red wine/mushroom steak sauce with this Bolla bottle tonight but I would spend a little more for Classico for a dinner party.


As always when cooking with wine, save a little for the recipe!


Bon Appetito!


*(BWAFF) Best Wine Aficionado Friend Forever

1 comment:

  1. Nice to meet your new friend, Marnie! *extending hand to shake* LOL

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE your floss tag. Did I say I love it? Well, I do! I have yet to try one. Maybe next week....uh huh. As if. Yours is perfect! {{{HUGS}}}}

    ReplyDelete