Tuesday, December 2, 2008

oldie but goodie


This old Better Homes and Gardens pattern for a box lid is truly one of my favorite finishes (but aren't they all). The plums and pear, holly and gourd seem to go together so well, just as if the fine folks at BHG planned it that way. I think it was stitched around 1998 or '99 (last century anyway!) when I was a dyed in the wool cross stitch puritan. I remember feeling so renegade when I stitched the long straight stitches (pine needles?). Can they do that?, I pondered. What happens if one gets snagged? I just don't know about these long straight stitches, I puzzled. Then, the "what the hell" took over and, voila, a terrific end product. Sometimes, as much as it pains me to say so, it's better to just do what you're told. Then on the other hand, some French knots would have been nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment