Saturday, October 24, 2009

a mild case of startitis



Fall always does it to me.  I get "in the mood" to start stuff.   Do you think at 38 years old I can still blame the school year for this phenomenon?   At any rate, I've started two small-ish projects to work on between now and Christmas.

The first is this terrific little sewing set from GPA:



Giulia sent this pattern to me as a gift when I had ordered some other things and I've been dying to get my needle in it ever since.  The stitching will go fast;  the finishing, well, not so sure...  We'll see.   This is the first time I've stitched on Weeks linen, 35 ct in "Parchment", and let me tell you, it is super nice.  I'll be using this color and count more often.  Instead of cotton overdyed thread, I picked out two Belle Soies for this project, "Collard Greens" and "Cranberry".  You can't tell much about the thread in this photo, but trust me, it is gorgeous. 

Secondly, a seasonly square from Indigo Rose:



Again, I'm going with Splendor silks for this piece.  I love all the blackwork in it.  This piece finished out to be fairly small (5 5/8" square), so I think it will look nice framed and on an easle on my desk at work.  The richness of the color palette hooked me the minute I saw it. 

And I'll leave you with the first published photo of our family friend, Fred: 



I was beginning to get worried about him because it has been a good while since we've run into him.  I think he was on his way to check out the man-cave construction this morning.

Have a great weekend folks!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Fred! And I love that Autumn piece as well as those Mia scissors. Thanks for the heads up on the scissors front!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Startitis hits quite frequently here... I wish it were contained to just the fall. LOL! I love both projects, especially that Christmas sewing set--so pretty and so delicate!
    Fred is so stinkin' cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful starts! Love the sewing set.
    That is a lovely pic of your house surrounded by the trees in all their autumn glory.
    I hope Fred has fun at the man cave (I keep wanting to say bat cave!)

    ReplyDelete