Sunday, September 9, 2012

Meanwhile, back at the ranch..

***

And we're back!  It's hard for me to believe that it was a full week ago that we left for Colorado to spend some much needed down time with hubby's brother and SIL.  It went by in a flash!  I'm beginning to believe I need ten days or two weeks away from the office to really relax, but... those kinds of "extended" vacations are definitely not the norm for us.

Here's a quick (photo heavy) glimpse of our week:

River Watching
(where I sat and stitched for many wonderful hours):

 

This shot was taken from the covered swing where I enjoyed the majority of each day.  The days were long and warm but the breeze was constant and made it feel like heaven on Earth.



Arkansas River
 
 
I only worked on this one project (tartan plaid coaster) all week, but to be honest, although I had big plans to finish this while we were away, I (obviously) didn't power stitch at all. 



I took the camera on long walks most mornings and evenings, enjoyed some local sightseeing, antiquing, bird watching, feeding the neighbor's horses, and just plain ol' resting.

Hubby did a lot of this:



The highlight of hubby's week:


19" (maybe 20") brown trout

He wasn't the only one fishing though:


Holy Wing Span, Batman!
Does he look hungry, or is it just me? 

As you may already know, I'm a bird nerd.  I am fascinated by the diversity in the bird world.  And, I saw 9 new-to-me birds, and that was without even trying! 



I know, I know... how do I contain myself?  (New birds: a white-tailed kite, gilded flicker, mountain bluebird, western bluebird, black-billed magpie, red-breasted merganser, white-tailed ptarmigan, Anna's hummingbird, and a yellow bird that I've yet to identify). 




Great BIG thanks to www.allaboutbirds.org for giving amateurs like me such an excellent, free on-line resource. 

The mountains were spectacular, from every angle:



lonely tree


 
dusty trail
 

To close out the week, we visited the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, which I'd never even heard of before, but was so glad to get the chance to see:


Awesome!
 
Last but not least: 
 
 
 
 
 
And, that's all folks... 
 
 
 
 
Hope you are having a great weekend, wherever you are..
 
 
 
 
 













 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, you can never go wrong with Colorado, we used to lived in Colorado Springs and would go to The Garden of the Gods every Christmas Day.
    Devon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. Always thought I needed a vacation from vacation! Beautiful place to stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow… Those pictures are absolutely stunning! And look at the variety of wildlife there! Going to places like these gives you an opportunity to detach yourself momentarily from the world. Staring at that remarkable landscape will definitely help you clear your thoughts, invigorate yourself, and appreciate what’s around you.

    ReplyDelete